Rain Garden Plant Sale
We will not have a summer/fall plant sale this year. To be notified of our Spring Rain Garden Plant Sale, sign-up for our Fresh Coast Guardians newsletter: https://www.freshcoastguardians.com/newsletter-signup
For more rain garden plant sales: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/endangeredresources/nativeplants.html
- Plants are sold in bundles of 4; each plant's container is 2.5" x 2.5" x 3.5 " (length x width x height/depth); one bundle of 4 plants costs $10.00, $2.50 per plant unless otherwise noted. A garden kit contains 16 plants; 4 bundles of 4 or more distinct species of plants with similar light and moisture needs.
- For a full list of all the plants and their attributes like sun/moisture needs open the "Quick List".
- If you would like to see the full list of the garden kits with attributes open the "Quick Kit List".
Example of a bundle of 4 plants (plants vary in height depending on species):
Example of a pocket garden kit with 16 plants. Each species is labeled in the front with the same species in the same row behind it.
Growth and Blooms:
If you haven't purchased native plants before there are key differences you should understand. Unlike more traditional, cultivated plants, native plants spend their first growing season sending down roots and preparing for the ever-changing Wisconsin weather. You will not see extensive growth above ground or much blooming. In their second growing season, native plants really take off with both leaf growth and an increase in blooms.
Native plants just after planting:
Native plants after one year:
Who can order:
Any private property owner, local non-profit group, or municipality can purchase plants. Plants cannot be purchased for resale. If you are unsure of your status or have other questions, please contact us using the contact us form.
To receive future notifications on MMSD plant sales and workshops, sign up for our Fresh Coast News email list.
Dates to Remember:
- April 12th, 2022: Sale ends.
- June 11th, 2022: Plant order pickup is at MMSD - 260 W. Seeboth St., Milwaukee, WI 53204, look for an email for details or sign up for a pick-up time at this link.
Want to learn more?:
View one of the recent Rain Garden Workshops, attend an upcoming workshop or contact us to submit a question regarding your plant questions.
Recorded Virtual Workshops:
- March 1st, 2022 @6 pm: Resilient Home: Inside and Out Workshop. View here.
- March 9th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm: How to Plan Your Rain Garden with Gardening Expert, Melinda Myers. View here.
- March 15th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm: How to Select Rain Garden Plants with Gardening Expert, Melinda Myers. View here.
- March 24th, 2022 @ 6 pm: MMSD Rain Garden Workshop with Master Gardener, Anne O'Connor. View here.
- April 5th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm: Managing Water on Your Property with Gardening Expert, Melinda Myers. View here.
- May 12th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm: How to Plant a Rain Garden with Gardening Expert, Melinda Myers. View here.
Benefits of Rain Gardens
Gardening expert, Melinda Myers, explains the benefits of rain gardens.
Selecting Plants for Rain Gardens
Melinda Myers offers a few favorite rain garden plants.